The Negotiator organised its first conference on 10 June. Titled "Survive and Thrive" the event was staged in association with Rightmove.co.uk, and the day's debate focussed on what agents could do in the current economic downturn - to control costs, improve productivity or earn additional fees. The line up of speakers was stellar, and the day was chaired by former Conservative MP and London Mayoral candidate Steven Norris.
During the morning a string of top speakers explained the latest house sales trends and endeavoured to forecast when business might improve. The afternoon was devoted to a series of presentations that looked at possible alternative sources of income - from getting into lettings or overseas property sales to auctions, conveyancing and franchising.
Almost 70 people attended the day with many of the UK's leading firms represented such as Chesterton, Connells, Countrywide, Goadsby, Harrison Murray, Karl Tatler, Marsh & Parsons, Robinson & Hall, Gibbs Gillespie, Grisdales, Kings Group, Manning Stainton, Reeds Raines, Savills, King & Chasemore and Keats Fearn.
Several of the speaker's presentations were covered in The Negotiator following the event. For details of these click on the relevant link below:
- Martin Gahbauer, senior economist, Nationwide
- Guy Chilvers, senior consultant, The Directors' Centre
- Jonathan Davis, spokesman, www.housepricecrash.co.uk
- Miles Shipside, commercial director, Rightmove
- Mark Lawton, sales director, John Charcoal
- Karl Tatler, managing director, Karl Tatler Estate Agents
- Richard Rawlings, managing director, Estate Agency Insight
- Paul Owen, chief executive, The Association of International Property Professionals
- Rob Sendall, chief executive, The Live Organisation
- Brian Duckett, managing director, Howarth Franchisjg
- David Sandeman, managing director, Essential Information Group
The Negotiator Awards 2009
Celebrating the very best in the world of estate agency.
The entry form for the 2009 awards is now available, and the deadline for entering is Friday 3 July 2009.
For further information please contact Michelle Lewis on or e-mail
The last awards were presented at a fantastic awards ceremony in London's Hilton Hotel on 11 November 2008. To find out more about previous winners and finalists, or to see photos and a video of the event click on the links below:
- Survive & Thrive conference - 10 June 2008